Back at the very beginning of our homeschooling journey, I was talking to an mom who was further down the homeschooling road than me. At the time, Rachel was 6, Courtney was 4, Erica was 2 and Sarah was an infant. This friend had 2 daughters who were 15 and 11 at the time. She was talking about the demands of homeschooling and how tiring it can be and how, at the end of a recent grueling school day, her daughters wanted her to read a book to them. She was too tired, so they ended up reading the book to each other. Now this part wasn’t the point of her story, but I had to stop her to make sure I heard her correctly. Your kids actually read out loud to each other? I grew up in a big, close-knit family and we read a lot. But we never read to each other. Oh sure, maybe a funny or amazing line in a really good book, but not entire chapters or books out loud to each other. This was a revolutionary and pleasant thought to me, but at the time it seemed light-years ahead from where we were at that point.
And suddenly, I blinked, and ten years had passed. And here are Courtney and Erica in their room last evening, reading this great classic out loud to each other. Well, Erica is doing the reading and Courtney is working on some cross-stitching project. (We have the book, but for some strange reason, they’re printing it off chapter-by-chapter from austen.com and reading from that. :-)
Gee I wonder who that Mom would have been :)???
ReplyDeleteSure goes fast doesn't it? How honored I feel that you remembered something "I" said. Thank you.
Hope you got my email about our new blog. Having fun with it. You guys take care and keep up the GOOD work!!!!!!! Tammy
Tammy -- You have definitely been a role model for me in many ways through the years. Wish we could see you guys more often. I guess we'll have to hit the camping trail if we want to visit. ;-) Blessings to you and your family!
ReplyDelete