As part of our Advent activities each year, we usually try to make it down to the Children’s Museum for their Jolly Days exhibit. So, Mick took the day off today and we headed downtown. It’s such an amazing museum that it’s hard to take it all in in an afternoon!
We started off in the Dinosphere. It’s been awhile since we went to the Children’s Museum (January, I think) and I’m pretty sure Grant did not remember this exhibit. Obviously, he was a little overwhelmed with the menacing dinosaurs, growling sounds and rumbles of thunder. He was perfectly happy letting Courtney carry him around.
Trent obviously felt the same way.
From there, we headed over to the train exhibit. Once we got past the humongous Reuben Wells steam engine, with its lights and sounds (at that point, Grant and Trent were probably wondering why in the world we came to this scary place.), we walked through the caboose of the big train and sat on the benches, watching the “scenery” go past. ;-)
No, they weren’t standing at attention. They were watching one of the model trains go overhead.
It’s difficult to get them to stand still on the ramps that lead from one floor to the next, but I’m persistent and at least got four of them in this shot. :-)
Next up was the Jolly Time Slide. The girls were seasoned pros, but Grant wouldn’t go down unless he was sitting on Courtney’s lap. Some day, I think he won’t believe he was too nervous to go down that slide by himself. But today, he preferred to ride with big sis.
See Claire and Sarah getting ready to round the turn in the next picture?
Yay! I managed to get a group shot right after they all got off the slide! It only took about 47 shots, but this one is pretty decent. :-)
A special exhibit they have at the Children’s Museum this year is the Hot Wheels exhibit. I don’t know who enjoyed this exhibit more, the little boys or their daddy. :-) Besides actual hot rods, the exhibit also had a number of play race tracks with loops and jumps and a seemingly endless supply of Hot Wheels cars. It was the first time our boys had played with toy race tracks and they were entertained for at least half an hour!
When I look at this picture of Trent on the motorcycle, it makes me wish I had video footage, then you could hear his very cool, authentic-sounding motorcycle noises.
While Mick took the older girls up to the Science Works area, I took Claire, Grant & Trent to a new exhibit called “Mr. Bear’s Playhouse.” There was a lot of space to run around in here. One of the big draws was this very realistic-looking … uh … skid steer? front loader? I’m sure Grant will help me with the name of this when I show him the blog.
In another part of Mr. Bear’s Playhouse, there was a sandbox set up filled with sand toys. Oh boy, did they all three have fun with this! It reminded me of how much kids love to play in sand … and that we really need a sandbox … or a beach vacation!
I love to watch kids when they’re seriously into something they’re playing with. You can practically watch the wheels spinning in their heads while they concentrate.
And then for the grand finale, the thing they ask about from the moment we enter the museum … the carousel!
I clearly remember riding this as a girl!
There was also a coin-operated horse near the carousel. I happened to have one (and only one) nickel in my purse, so Claire was able to ride it. Even after the 30-second ride, Claire continued to ride him, pet him, and hug him. I stood nearby, but kept watching the other ones running around. At one point, I looked back at Claire just in time to see a complete stranger walk up and put a nickel in the horse! I thanked her and she just smiled sheepishly and said “she looked like she wanted a ride.”
Ride ‘em cowgirl!
Trent took a turn, too; although judging by the look on his face, he’s not exactly sure what he’s doing on his turn. (He did end up enjoying it, though. :-) Again: imagine horse sound effects and you’ve pretty much have the idea of the Trent horseback-riding experience.
Looks like you guys had a great time! I've never been there at Christmas before. BTW, go for the beach vacation, forget the sandbox! ;)
ReplyDeleteHa! Actually, we are hoping for a beach vacation next year. We're still working on the details. And no, Indiana Beach is not the one we're thinking of. :-D
Delete