Day One began at the tender hour of 3:00 am. All 12 of us (Alix and Kate, too) piled into the van to head south. After talking about “the cation” and “Ginia Beach” for weeks, Trent was a bit reticent (i.e., fussy) about being put into his carseat at 4:00 am. I tried to ease him into the idea, reminding him where we were going, asking him if he wanted to come, too. “No” was his repeated answer. Finally, I asked him if he wanted me or Daddy to put him in the car. He decided he’d rather I do it. ;-) Once we got going, things smoothed out and he started to warm up to the idea.
We met up with the Bruces, Mom and Dad and Uncle Kent and headed out, Rachel at the wheel and the rest of us wedged in tightly, hemmed in by suitcases, pillows, books and food.
Several of us napped (and Trent is still asleep at 8:08, thankfully), but I think a few of the girls stayed awake the whole time, chatting quietly in the back.
Breakfast was a mixture of granola bars, hard-boiled eggs, strawberries, Fig Newtons, brown sugar Pop Tarts and orange juice. Believe it or not, in spite of all that food and all these kids, it went pretty smoothly! I guess they really are getting older. And now we’re in Kentucky, watching the hills and pastures of grazing horses and cows roll by. We’re keeping in contact with the others via a walkie talkie, which we bought way back in 2000, when we started taking family vacations.
Lots of excitement and we’re just so glad vacation is finally HERE!!
So exciting! Great pictures.
ReplyDelete