
Wow.
«««««! I just loved this book! So much that I would rank it in my top 5. Some of the chapters were laugh-out-loud funny (e.g., the calving in Chapter 1 with "Uncle" giving his 2 cents, the Bramleys and their kittens in Chapter 58), and others were incredibly poignant (chapter 45 about John Skipton and his beloved retired work horses really got me). I re-read many sections of this out loud to, well, whoever happened to be nearby when I read something I especially liked.
It's interesting, when I browse through the comments for this book on Goodreads, I frequently see sentiments like this "If you like animals, this is a good book for you," but I really think Herriot's stories show us his warm feelings toward the unique
people who owned the animals, rather than the animals themselves.
This was a library book, but it definitely deserves a permanent spot in our personal library. So incredibly wonderful.
It's been too long since I've read it! I remember it was funny, and .... earthy? :) Thanks for the reminder! I'll have to download it to my iPad!
ReplyDelete