Couch to 5K Log

Friday, June 21, 2013

Tales from the Toddler Frontline

Look at this sweetie. Seriously, it looks like he was posed by a photographer. But no. The other day, while I was making lunch, I looked over and Trent was sitting like this. Patiently waiting for his lunch. So patient. So adorable.

IMG_0929 edited

My mom often tells people that we kids were so cute … and it was a good thing, because sometimes, that was the only thing that saved us.  :-D  I get that now. 

Last night, I had a toe-to-toe standoff with this little guy in the Burger King parking lot. He had been temporarily released from the strict confines of his car seat and he would not – would not – get back in. I tried all the tricks I knew – yes, I was shamelessly bargaining, bribing, nearly begging. In other words, totally throwing out all the strict parenting convictions I made before I had kids. Of course there were extenuating circumstances that parents with a little more experience know to take into consideration. It was late (past 10:00 – oops, don’t read this. Tee hee.), he had just spent 1.5 hours sitting pretty quietly on my lap at Rachel’s piano recital, another hour of driving back and dropping off cousins and a friend, and now he was just done with it all. I felt for him, but in the end, he had to get back into that seat for the 10-minute ride home. So, of course I had to end up manhandling him back into his carseat with him kicking and screaming all the while. He might have bested me if Rachel hadn’t been there to help hold his legs down. Strong little bugger! (Mick had driven separately and had already left, or else this probably would’ve been over in about 2.5 minutes.)  It was quite a lovely scene – straight out of Little House on the Prairie. ::eye roll::

What followed was several minutes of very loud protesting (read: shrieking and flailing) while I drove home as fast as I could, with many of the others plugging their ears. Suddenly, someone from the back of the van started singing “Happy Birthday to You.” Whoever that was deserves Sister/Daughter/Citizen of the Year awards. The others joined in immediately. This had an amazingly magical, gloriously quieting effect and there was an almost instant calm over the van. The girls sang all three verses and then jumped right into other toddler favorites. Peace was restored and everyone began relaxing … until Grant started crying because “Trent’s screaming scared me.” <sigh>

And then, I look back up at that sweet little face, and I’m in my happy place again.  :-)

2 comments: